You can prepare – in my opinion the best green sauce there is – with pine nut, basil and parmesan cheese in the comfort of your kitchen which will enrich your recipes much more than the processed ones and also you can keep its freshness for a long time!
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 large bunches of basil (about 4 cups of fresh basil leaves)
- 150 grams of parmesan cheese
- 100 grams of pine nuts
- 2 cups of olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Key Point: This may be a little more labor-intensive method, but if you want the aroma of the pesto sauce to be stronger and thicker, use a small ceramic kitchen mortar and pestle to blend all the ingredients than a food processor. You can keep its freshness by storing in your freezer in small glass jars. Also add the olive oil slowly and stir until the mixture thickens.
Cooking Suggestion: In addition to pine nuts, you can also use crushed walnuts and cashews after lightly roasting them in a pan without using any oil.
How To Make It?
- Pick off all the basil leaves, wash with plenty of water and chop them.
- Roast the pine nuts in an oil-free pan for 2 to 3 minutes in order to make them more crispy and to make their aroma more intense.
- Finely grate the parmesan cheese, peel the garlic cloves, add the salt and use your mortar and pestle to crush them together.
- Puree the crushed cloves, roasted pine nuts and chopped basil leaves in a food processor.
- Add the shredded parmesan cheese and olive oil little by little while stirring and continue to do so until the sauce turns into a somewhat coarse paste.
- Store the ready-made pesto sauce in the refrigerator to keep its freshness and share with your loved ones!